When asked by institutions to comment on solution providers in higher ed, the context of the conversation is important.
For example, if an institution with 5,000-10,000 students is thinking about replacing its Student system in 2017, I would have slightly different guidance than if the institution needed a solution in 2015. Regardless of the timing, I would encourage the institution to consider more than features and functions when evaluating new solutions.
Among the factors that I would consider, I recommend that institutions place some value on:
1. Vendor focus on higher education
2. Vendor / company culture
3. Ease of transacting business with the vendor
4. Current customer satisfaction
5. Current employee satisfaction / morale / turnover
6. Vendor renewal terms for maintenance or SaaS fees, if applicable
7. Ease of implementation
8. Availability of market resources knowledgeable about products / technology
10. Product functionality
Are there factors that are important to you that I've missed? TTG is finalizing a new TTG Vendor Scorecard that will be published in our Vendor Research center. As TTG has enough market data to score each vendor, vendors will receive a score which will reflect our opinion of the vendor.
Write to me privately or respond to this post.